Romans 12:3-8

Romans 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Spiritual or Religious?

Recently, a friend of mine posted a link to an article about Religion vs. Spirituality. Basically, the article (Spiritual but Not Religious? Please Stop Boring Me.) was written by a minister who was irked by people telling her that they were "spiritual but not religious." The article is a bit "snarky" for lack of a better term, but there was a lot of good debate that went on in the comments of my friend's status. It made me think a lot about my own situation.

For years, I would have put myself in the "spiritual but not religious" category. Loren-Paul Caplin, in a different blog post (Religious vs. Spiritual: Semantics or Neurotics?), described spiritual as such: "I just assumed that if I held some personal 'spiritual' belief in, let's just call it, a beyond-our-physical-universe reality (the nature of which won't be discussed here) that includes a very personal conception of humans (and other living things) having an eternal essence that transcends their bodies -- that I'd share enough common ground with devoutly religious people to, well, at least not piss them off." That pretty much describes how I felt. I felt like there was something out there, and I thought that was enough. As long as I acknowledged that there was something beyond me, then I would be alright, right?

Here's the problem, with being "spiritual" without being "religious," at least as it applied to me for 20 years. It was about me and only me. I took comfort in this idea that there was "something" out there beyond me. But I didn't have anything to share with anyone else. What could I tell other people? "Ummm.... Yeah.... I believe there's something beyond us." How does that inspire anyone else to believe? Does it help them develop their own spirituality? I had nothing to share.

Now, though, I have a lot more to share. I have my story of how I came to Christ. I have direction and a path. I know that there's a whole lot more to this than what's in it for me. And I'm eager to share what I feel and know with others. I'm now proudly religious.

4 comments:

  1. Both you and Alecia and Bruce, I may add, have found that. I haven't yet. My time hadn't come yet to realize what you have experienced. I have tried. It may come someday, just agree to not ostricize me for it. I am really thrilled with all three of you getting to that point. I just haven't experienced it. I do know I have had guardian angels. One saved me from our house fire at age 8. I do trek when someone says they are atheist, though. Then again, l haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up. I was always behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is reek when someone declares themed asd atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never ostracize you for not having had that experience yet. You sound exactly like I did a year ago. I kept trying to have the experience and I had expectations of what it would be like. In the end, it was nothing like what I thought it would be.

    It sounds like you have a good base to start from. And it sounds like you're looking. What I realized in the end was that I was desperately looking around me for something that had always been right there with me. God is with you, patiently waiting for you to realize it.

    Hope I'm not sounding too preachy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was being tongue and cheek about you guys ostrasizing me. :)

    You're not sounding preachy. We each have our own path regardless of what that may be or hire long it takes :)

    ReplyDelete