Romans 12:3-8

Romans 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

Friday, September 2, 2011

On Phones

Today, Alecia and I went to lunch at Cholula's.  While we were eating, we couldn't help but overhear what was being said in the booth next to ours. One woman was reading a text conversation she had had with someone else out loud to her friend. This was a very personal text exchange between her and a guy that I really didn't want to hear. This went on for about 10 minutes, and then this same woman received a phone call. She proceeded to talk on the phone for the rest of the time we were there (probably 15 minutes or more). In fact, when we were paying, I looked back and she was still on the phone. Her friend was sitting there blankly staring out the window. I can't imagine her friend was happy with the whole situation.

Now, I'll admit that I'm a big fan of cell phones and texting and many of you may think that I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but, this situation really made me think. I'm worried about where we're heading as a society. As a parent, I'm especially worried. How many of our kids can't put their phones down long enough to have a decent face to face conversation? How many of them can't even turn it off or ignore it long enough to watch a two hour movie or get a decent night's sleep? What's going to happen when they go looking for jobs and pull out their phone in the middle of their interviews to respond to a text? Are we the ones teaching them this behavior? I, for one, intend to be a little more careful about the example I set. So from now on, if you text me and I don't respond immediately, don't get upset. I'm probably talking to one of my kids.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! I dont answer my phone when out with other people unless it us from my immediate family. I only do it then because, unfortunately, I have gotten to many emergency calls and I have to know everything is ok. I get off the phone right away though and call back later. People get used to get upset with me got not answering my phone because I have a cell phone and should always be available to answer. Now it's a running joke that I never answer my phone.

    When I was a kid, we only had house phones and no answering machine or caller ID. The rule was that you didnt answer the phone when you had company. If it was important they would call back. The people you are with in person take precedence over the phone. I use that same rule with cell phones and feel I am about the only one. I fal that is especially true with cell phones. You know who called. It's not like the old home phones where you didn't.

    ReplyDelete