Romans 12:3-8

Romans 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

I've Got a Lot to Think About

So... I've got a lot on my mind right now, so forgive me if this post seems disjointed.

First off: Swaziland. I'll admit to being a little nervous about this trip, but it's probably not for any reason that you would think. You see, I've read through the blogs of a guy who went on the last two trips. As the senior male, he was asked to preach each time. And who's going to be the senior (and only) male on this trip? That's right. Me. There's a possibility that they'll ask Janice to preach instead of me, but I'm not counting on it. My guess is that they won't want to risk offending me by not asking. I'm going to be prepared, just in case. I just have no idea what to say. But... I have a month and a half to figure it out, I guess.

Second, I went with Alecia to her classes this past week. It was great to meet some of her seminary friends, and I really enjoyed listening to the professors. It was made all the better by the fact that I had no need to take notes, as I would not be writing any papers or taking any tests. I was a little intimidated, however, as people threw about terms that I couldn't even pronounce, let alone know what they meant. Going to her classes has gotten me thinking, though. I definitely would like to learn more. I'm not sure that a Masters of Divinity is for me, but there are other programs at CTS that I could potentially be interested in. But there's a lot of writing, and I'm not that good of a writer. And then there's the whole job thing, complete with international travel, sometimes on short notice. I don't know. Maybe a little down the road.

And then Rev. Nathan preached on courage this morning. The scripture passage was:

Matthew 14:22-33 (NIV)

22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Nathan challenged us to be courageous witnesses. We must step out of the boat and trust the Lord to pull us to safety if we start to sink.

I've also been reading "Crazy Love" by Frances Chan. Today, the part I was reading talked about "lukewarm" Christians. There were many examples of what he considers the characteristics of a "lukewarm" Christian, but basically he's talking about someone who stops at being saved. "I believe, therefore I'm not going to hell." But that's where they stop. They continue to live their lives for themselves instead of stepping out of the boat onto the water when Jesus calls them.


What do all of these thoughts have in common? I don't know. Maybe nothing. 

Or maybe everything. 


I've got a lot to think about.

3 comments:

  1. I have "Crazy Love" and have listened to Chan speak before. I'll confess to having started reading the book, but put it down for some reason and have not got back to it. All 3 of his books were available Easter weekend for free on the Kindle so I grabbed them. They are all on my summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I got "Crazy Love." I grabbed all three books when I found out they were being offered for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. If you're anything like everyone I know who's read Crazy Love, you'll be finding yourself with a LOT of things to think about. Might just be the most singularly challenging thing I've read. Enjoy!
      2. When you find out such great deals, please share! Really sorry to have missed out on this one.

      Delete